Everyone is warmly welcome to attend any – and all! – services at our church.
Services in Llansadwrn Church are held at 11.00 a.m., with Holy Communion on the first and third Sundays of the month, and Morning Prayer on the fourth. On the fifth Sunday of the month a joint Eucharistic service is held at one of the four churches at 10.00 a.m., followed by coffee and biscuits.
Church Wardens: James Evans and Oriel Jones
Secretary: Jean Slater
Treasurer: Jane Shaw
The church vestry is to open on Tuesdays, from 2.00 – 5.00 p.m. The idea is to provide a space where people in Llansadwrn can informally meet together, particularly newcomers who may not have had a chance to meet many locals yet. Tea and coffee will be available. There will also be some plants and paperbacks to swop or share, and a safe play area for toddlers.
Please do drop by occasionally, even if only for ten minutes – your presence will be much appreciated. Any ideas as to how this venture might further develop would be more than welcome. Come for a chat / drop by for a drink!!
A brief history of Llansadwrn Church
St Sadwrn was a hermit, believed to be buried near Northampton. It is thought he became influential in Welsh politics, including north Carmarthenshire. The dedication of the church to him suggests a pre-Anglo-Norman foundation. Along with Llanwrda, Llansadwrn became part of the Talley Abbey benefice in 1176. The nave and porch are possibly both 14th century while the aisle is probably late 15th century. It is not recorded until 1539 as being recognised as a parish church .
The roof of the south chapel and porch probably date to the 17th century. The roof was deemed “out of repair” in 1672, and finally repaired in 1705. Prior to restoration, the south transept was separated from the chapel by a partition. The nave and transept were at that time seated with box pews. In addition there was a gallery over the nave west bay. One bell is dated 1730. The walls are essentially medieval with later additions but dates are not precise.
The church was restored in 1883 -1885 by one John Middleton and Son. Most of the windows are believed to have been replaced in the 19th century. The church was listed Grade B in 1966, and subsequently re-listed Grade 2. It was restored most recently in 2005-2006, largely funded by the Lottery Heritage Fund. Work included reinstating the west window. Photographs recording the work in progress are in an album, kept inside the church, on a table near the main door. The church is open during the day – please do visit.