As you may be aware, there is a concerning growth in positive Covid-19 cases in Carmarthenshire, concentrated in the Llanelli area.
We have been involved in lengthy discussions with colleagues at Welsh Government, Public Health Wales and Hywel Dda University Health Board, and this afternoon have made a joint decision to introduce new restrictions for a large part of the Llanelli area as part of our efforts to stop the spread.
We are in the process of communicating to residents in the affected areas and speaking personally to local Members to provide as much information as we can.
It’s really important that our messaging on this is clear, therefore we would be grateful if you would share information from our website and social media feeds as an official source.
As well as outlining the new local restrictions, we are developing a range of frequently asked questions and will be adding to these over the coming days so please return to check for updates.
As always, thank you for your cooperation and for helping us keep our communities informed.
The new local restrictions for the Llanelli area as ofSaturday, September 26, 2020 at 6pm are:
- people will not be allowed to enter or leave the defined area of Llanelli without a reasonable excuse
- people will no longer be able to form, or be in, an extended household (sometimes called a “bubble”)
- this means meeting indoors with anyone who is not part of your household (people you live with) is not allowed at the moment, unless you have a good reason, such as providing care to a vulnerable person
- all licensed premises must stop serving alcohol at 10pm and will have to close at 10.20pm
- people must work from home wherever possible
The specific wards covered in the defined area of Llanelli are:
- Swiss Valley
Residents can check if they live in one of these restricted areas by visiting www.carmarthenshire.gov.wales and entering their post code.
You will also be able to find answers to a comprehensive list of frequently asked questions on the website.
A mobile testing unit has been set up in Llanelli to manage the increased demand. Testing for Llanelli residents is available by appointment at the following locations:
- Parc y Scarlets Car Park B, accessed via Trostre Retail Park, in Llanelli
- The Ty’r Nant site (next to KFC), Trostre, Llanelli
- The Carmarthen showground (signposted in both directions off the A40)
There should be no reason for Llanelli residents to travel excessive distances for a test, as there will be tests available in Llanelli and Carmarthen.
Tests should be booked via the UK Portal. Any Llanelli residents experiencing difficulty booking a test locally via the UK portal can instead email@example.com or by calling 0300 333 2222.